Thursday, January 24, 2013

CSC165H1 SLOG #2

The end of week three is approaching and there is the slightest feeling that I'm already falling behind. The reason being that the homework for tutorial #2 proved somewhat difficult. At first I felt embarrassed knowing that I would walk into the room with little to no confidence in my answers, but within minutes of the tutorial, my group of six classmates felt my anguish. Their answers weren't much better. I guess the idea of all of us being on the same boat relieved some of our anxiety -- at least for me.
What proved to be struggling was the symbols and set notations to use. What I mean is if the questions states that a course has several prerequisite, my first instinct is to use '> 1' somewhere, but the course textbook/readings mentioned nothing about situations like what I mentioned above. Therefore, I questioned what I could and could not do...
Even after half an hour of discussion, none of us could come to a consensus of what answer was truly correct. Solutions were soon posted on the blackboard, but even with an explanation from the T.A, I felt even more discouraged in my ability to score perfect on this quiz. As I predicted, I probably wasn't going to score perfect, but I would be content with part marks.
The problem was that I  am an example-solution orientated student. The course readings offered minimal of each. In my opinion, much of the content was theory and words. A course such as logic and reasoning where symbols dominate words, examples and solutions are crucial.
My worries have been lifted as the professor has decided that he would post examples and solutions on the website from previous years. Furthermore, in lecture, he announced that our 'quizzes' in class will follow the same format as our tutorial quizzes.
That's all for this week.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Steven, maybe past course websites are of use to you? For example this one: http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~alexia/csc165/homework.html has exercises and solutions! Just google CSC165 and loads of past course websites pop up.

    Let me know if there's anything specific you're struggling with and I'll see what I can do!

    ReplyDelete