Saturday, March 2, 2013

#4 Post

Yike's its been a long time since i've last posted a blog. Probably a mixture of being forgetful, laziness, and the build-up of midterms this month. I'll try to make an effort on making this post more in depth and cover most things I've missed.
For starters, I missed my midterm exam one due the snow storm. Long story short, the bus that normally takes me 15 minutes to get from my house to finch station ended up taking taking 2 hours to barely travel half the distance I needed. Nonetheless, I phoned the professor and got some documentation from the bus driver to prove that I was indeed on the bus.
Short after, I was glad that professor Heap posted and took up the midterm in class so solidify some parts that I didn't understand prior to the exam. 
Since the new chapter has begun, proofs seem to be such a struggle for most people. I'm so used to just computing calculus questions whether that be from MAT135 or MAT235, or even STA255, but to actually proof why is such a hassle. I guess the two years have math really haven't given me much opportunity to actually practice proofs but only to regurgitate things I've memorized. I guess this is the fundamental difference between this course and any math course I've ever taken is actually in this course, there is no room for memorizing but only understand. As complex as multiple integrals can be, I can go from integrating the function and then back to taking the differential to prove each side because it simple computation. However, proofing a simple abstract equation is so much more complex in my opinion. Proving two abstract variables equating each other requires me to dig deep to express each step precisely and accurately. The only proof experience I've had prior to this course is probably back in grade 12 where we proofed trigonometric functions such as sin^2x + cos^2x = 1. 
My only saving grace is actually knowing that the structure of my proof will count as part marks even though I could fail the entire way of proving. BUT, the great side all these worries is that my T.A did a great job last tutorial explaining step-by-step the ways of dealing with proving and disproving such as; taking the contrapositives, and negating all together. So definitely props to him on clarifying. 
Alright, that is all for now, but I'll definitely try to make an effort on making more frequent posts. 

1 comment:

  1. Proving abstract things can definitely be much trickier (it is not a simple 'algorithm' you can simply apply, each proof is unique and requires insight!). I find it much more satisfying to solve a proof though, that eureka moment :)

    ReplyDelete