It's been a month since the start of class and I'm just slightly behind. Not so far behind that it is near impossible to catch-up. From time-to-time I wonder what relevance this course has to computer programming. Where would I ever have to implement abstract symbols in my code. Nonetheless, the only relative connection I can see is that both coding and reasoning train you to break down problems into smaller problems.
This weeks tutorial was very familiar since into STA255 we did distributive, and DeMorgan's law. The only difference with what I learned in statistics and here was that in stats we applied DeMorgan's law using complements symbols (A-bar, B-bar). The quiz was relatively easy, since the T.A did a pretty good job refreshing and explaining the different laws. He even threw in some tips as to what the professor would like to see on the exams when proving. (explain the step that you took to get from a) to b). I think I got perfect on this quiz?
If you have to reason about your computer code then you're stuck with... words and/or symbols. Python code itself breaks down into a bunch of symbols.
ReplyDeleteAnd you will also be using the material taught in this course in future courses to learn how to prove correctness of your programs!
ReplyDelete